If you don’t have any recommendations to go on, it can be difficult to choose a Garage to carry out work on your car. Before you commit to anything though, be sure to glance over our top tips below to help take your business to the right place.
Top tips for choosing a garage
- Speak to family members and friends to see if they know of anybody reputable. A good recommendation is always a great start!
- Call around a few Garages and ask for quotes – never just go with the first quote you’re given. If you have a few prices, this will enable you to haggle with other Garages.
- Find out if the Garage is registered with any of the trade bodies as this will give you extra piece of mind.
- Don’t forget to ask what the price includes. Will the price you’ve been quoted include parts, VAT and labour? Also, is this price an actual quote or just an estimate? Ensure you check everything out – you don’t want any nasty surprises when it’s time to hand over your credit card.
- Once you decide who to go with, see if you can negotiate a price upfront. Then you can also ask them to call you if there’s any work required that will go over the pre-agreed amount.
- Ask how long the work can take and when they can fit you in. You need to make sure that the timing is convenient for you too.
- Don’t forget to check out if there’s any warranty on the work carried out. That way, if anything goes wrong, you may be able to return to the Garage.
You don’t have to commit to any work if you’re not getting a good vibe when you call them – there are plenty of other Garages out there! Take your time and don’t be afraid to ask as many questions as you’d like.
- Anna Vaccaro