With Britain still very much in recession, money is tight for most. I’m sure we’ve all been tempted to forego the breakdown cover in a bid to save a bit of cash but you’ll be sure to regret it should you break down and need assistance.
Breakdown cover really does offer piece of mind; you never know when or where you might need help so it really is worth paying for cover. But which type should you opt for? It can all be quite confusing, so take a look at our quick and easy guide below.
- This is the most common policy to take out
- You pay an annual fee and don’t pay any extra for a callout
- If your car breaks down, you call for assistance
Pay and Claim
- This cover is usually cheaper than an automatic policy
- Should you break down, a local firm will be sent out to you
- You pay the local service and then claim the money back from your breakdown provider
Breakdown Cover Levels
There are a few options here.
- Included in all policies
- Someone will come out to the scene of the breakdown (not at your home, see below for home assistance)
- They’ll try to fix the car there and then but if not, will tow it to whichever is closest; your home or a garage
- Parts are not included but the first hour of labour is usually free
- If your car breaks down at home (it won’t start, for example) assistance will come out to you
- This can be useful if your car is very unreliable as the roadside assistance will not come out to you if you’re within a quarter of a mile of your house
- If a roadside repair isn’t possible, your car (and the passengers within it) will be recovered, either to a garage or your home
- You’ll need to check your chosen policy as it varies, but it may include alternative transport to the address you desire, car hire and/or accommodation while your car is fixed
You can also choose whether to cover yourself or cover your vehicle.
- Whatever car you drive, you’ll be covered
- Good if you regularly drive more than one vehicle
Cover Your Vehicle
- The vehicle is protected, whoever drives it
- Good if another person, such as your partner regularly drives your car
Of course, please remember to go through all of the small print to find out exactly what your specific policy covers.
Don’t forget to shop around for breakdown cover. There are several comparison sites that can help you clinch a great deal. And don’t be tempted to wait until your car breaks down. Joining up for breakdown cover on the spot is incredibly costly. If you do need assistance, you’ll be thankful that you planned ahead, invested a bit of your hard earned cash and always had peace of mind.
- Anna Vaccaro